A big thanks to Bel for the recipe for these strawberry daiquiri cupcakes. I took a bit of a break from blogging but am back with a recipe for a cake that I transformed into mini cupcakes. So delicious!
Strawberry Daiquiri Mini Cupcakes
• 3 cups all purpose flour
• 1 1/2 cups sugar
• 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/2 cup white rum
• 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
• 1/4 tsp almond extract
• 2/3 cup buttermilk or sour cream
• 1/2 cup shortening
• 2 eggs
• 10 oz package frozen strawberries, thawed, well drained, juice reserved, and chopped
• 1 1/4 cups sugar
• strained reserved strawberry juice
• 1 to 2 tbs strawberry jam or preserves
• 2 egg whites
• 2 tsp light corn syrup
• 1/2 tsp rum
• 3 drops red food coloring
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees. Line mini muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add rum, lime juice, almond extract, buttermilk, shortening and eggs. Beat on low speed until well combined. Fold strawberries gently into the batter.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until done (a toothpick will come out clean). Cool on a wire rack.
4. For frosting, combine sugar, strawberry juice, strawberry jam, egg whites and corn syrup in top of a double broiler, whisking until sugar dissolves (feel for grittiness between your fingers).
5. Remove from heat and beat until soft peaks form. Add rum and food coloring. Beat for 3 more minutes, or until piping consistency is reached (frosting will be light and fluffy).
6. Pipe frosting onto mini cupcakes (I use a #6 tip).